Every week we have a staff meeting to touch base on any pressing issues about the company: new procedures, production updates, upcoming events, etc. But every other week one of us get’s to show a TED Talk to the rest of the group. Usually it’s something inspiring and thought provoking. I look forward to this every other week so I thought I might as well share them with all of you! I found this talk, given by George Monbiot, about “Rewilding,” while listening to the NPR TED Radio Hour–if you like Podcasts please subscribe to this one, it’s life changing!!
The reason I wanted to share this talk with you all is because of it’s semi-hidden-semi-obvious message that everything is connected. We must always be conscious that the decisions we make, large or small, can result in a domino effect. Something as small as complimenting a co-worker to make their day a little better, or as serious as not letting your friends drive under the influence (haven’t we all heard that speech?). Know that as tiny as we are compared to this ever-expanding universe, we are all connected in some way.
Our unfiltered opinion on the images that make us double tap with delight:
1. @shonalepis I’ve featured photos of gifts from partners before in our Insta Roundups, and I’m never going to stop! I love it when someone comes into the shop or visits us online in search of something for his/her sweet thang. Shona’s husband tucked a betsy & iya treat into a beautiful bouquet to celebrate the couple’s five year wedding anniversary. He chose the St Johns Bridge cuff for her because they can see it from their new house (didn’t think it could get cuter, did you?).
2. @voguethailand I’ve found that the grand tradition of foreign fashion publications being better than their American counterparts is also true on Instagram. I want to be friends with the style-obsessed person(s) who runs the feed of Thailand’s version of Vogue. I chose this particular Roberto Cavalli choker “thing” because my birthday is this week and I thought you might need some gift inspiration.
3. @kathrynbudig All bow in downward dog reverence to yoga teacher, author, and all-around inspiring lady, Kathryn Budig, who shared a photo of her teaching a class in Dallas wearing our Conata Hoop earrings (thank you so much for tagging us, Kathryn!). I love this as a perfect reminder of all the amazing places our jewelry goes once it leaves us. #namaste
4. @mimileather Within a few days of hitting the shop floor, the brass bracelets Betsy picked up on her buying trip in Tucson (the piece in the middle) were already grammed by a customer! Definitely made my day to see this arm party, also featuring our Uppland bracelet. And the top leather bracelet? Made by the wearer herself!
5. @thepennyrose The ladies behind this Santa Cruz fashion blog are some of my favorite Instagram followers: their taste is on point (Example A), they comment frequently, and they’re fans of our beloved stockists Stripe (Santa Cruz) and Legion (San Fran). They featured our Alameda hoops in a recent “4 Favorite Finds” post on their blog & singled them out in this solo Instagram. Thanks for all the love, Penny Rose!
6. @spinnerettepdx ”I spy with my little eye… adorable shop dawg.” Couldn’t have said it better myself. Can you spot Gingham in her usual perch? I’m happy that others notice the little, sometimes overlooked, things that make our shop so special.
Needless to say, we love getting shout outs on Instagram. Tag us in your best betsy & iya moments and we’ll be sure to tell you how much it made our day (usually in the form of emoji…).
Hello again, #betsyandiyabuildout followers! I write an expansion update every other week and each time, the same thoughts invade my mind: I wonder how it’s already possible for another one, how so many leaps & bounds have been made in only a few days, how the grand opening party will be here before we know it (start planning your outfits now, people, it’s going to be a BASH!!). This time, I’m thinking all of those things as per usual, but with greater emphasis on the progress. It’s like when a fetus starts to really resemble a baby human; dry wall now covers the insulation that was put in last week, and the exposed wood wall is almost done. It’s starting to look like an *almost* fully formed space back there!
Rachel & Will check in about progress, share tips on where to buy cool boots
Insulation is just blowing my mind these days. It’s one of those “don’t know what ya got till it’s gone” things; when it was removed from a portion of our current production space to begin work on plumbing, it was instantly missed (holy chilliness!). In the new space, I was expecting the cotton candy pink kind that I was warned against touching as a kid, but this pillowy version is a lovely shade of mint green and made of wool (it’s also fire and sound proof).
I pop over to check in on things about twice a week, but I forget that my coworkers rarely take breaks to visit. We all decided to venture back after a Thursday all staff meeting and their reactions were gold! I think Alyssa might have actually shed happy tears.
We’ve all highly anticipated the exposed wood wall that’s been discussed since we first saw the plans. Reclaimed wood from Salvage Works arrived (left), was cut to size by Justin (middle), and then up it went! Oooh’s & ahhh’s ensued (right).
On the ground, sawdust & sassy shoes; on the wall, some extremely sexy reclaimed-wood-on-exposed-brick action (how are we going to concentrate with all that beeeeauty?!).
Allow me an indulgent moment: here’s me, as captured by Betsy, with the silly grin on my face that just appears every time I visit the new space.
On any given day, it is highly likely that Barrie will be sporting a fresh, clean face; she isn’t into wearing makeup — and who could blame her? She has flawless skin, dreamy almond-shaped eyes, and a smile that radiates from within. This does not, however, undermine how great of an idea it was to take photos of Barrie all glammed up, because let’s face it: the girl OWNS a red lip.
With a simple black canvas in regard to her clothing, Barrie put the emphasis on her accessories & simple yet effective red lip and black cat eyeliner. The colored leather and brass statement necklace keeps the look edgy and Barrie’s infinite amount of rings leaves the eye dazzled by all the bling. This look proves, yet again, that all-black is timeless, especially when you make it your own.